Immortelle is a flower that never fades, even when picked. Its Latin name, Helichrysum, means "golden sun" – like its magnificent golden flowers. For Corsicans, it is a flower symbolic of the maquis (the fragrant scrubland of Corsica), with a captivating scent.
The Balagne region is also known as "the garden of Corsica". In 2001, at the heart of this fragrant region, L'OCCITANE discovered this extraordinary wild plant.
The immortelle has medicinal properties known in Mediterranean traditions: anti-bruising, anti-inflammatory (more effective than arnica), and healing. Traceability
Ever since the remarkable anti-aging properties of the immortelle plant were discovered, the picking of wild immortelle has become increasingly common. When the flowers are picked in accordance with sustainable guidelines, this actually "cleans up" the maquis and indirectly helps to prevent fires. However, the volumes harvested do not allow for a sustainable supply of immortelle. This is why, in 2004, L’OCCITANE launched a large-scale immortelle plantation, covering 50 hectares, in Corsica, using organic farming methods. In 2011, six growers/distillers cultivated and distilled organic immortelle in the Balagne region and eastern Corsica. Quality and traceability can be guaranteed, from the harvesting to the distillation of the flower. All our partners are committed to working with L’OCCITANE over the long term. Stephan Francisci
was the first to start this new adventure. He now cultivates 10 hectares for L’OCCITANE between Bastia and Porto-Vecchio. “Each flower cultivated saves a wild plant of the maquis.” Pascale Chérubin
, based in Ghisonaccia, is a biologist professor and owns 5 hectares. “This flower has done well for me. I always felt that the whole of Corsica was concentrated in the immortelle, with its spicy smell.” Did you know?
- The flowers are picked in the morning and distilled the same day, in the evening, to extract all their constituents.
- 1 hectare provides enough land to produce 4 tons of flowers, which yield 8 kilos of essential oil. Patented effectiveness
L’OCCITANE has registered four patents, which attest to the innovative nature of our research into cell regeneration and the remarkable effectiveness of our skincare products made with immortelle from Corsica.
- Patent 1: Anti-aging with the Precious Cream: radiance-enhancing action (multiplies collagen production), smoothing (boosts skin microcirculation) and firming (protects the skin against free radicals).
- Patent 2: Anti-aging night care with the Very Precious Cream: patent 1 enhanced by repairing and anti-dark spot action.
- Patent 3: Complete anti-aging action and action on cellular youth with the Divine Cream: stimulates the production of SIRT-1 by fibroblasts.
- Patent 4: The synergy of new immortelle cell extracts and immortelle essential oil, with the new Precious Cream: strengthens the skin's support network and stimulates the natural exfoliation of deep cells.